March 29, 2010

constant in happiness


This was my first(ish) idea for the hall at Moss Hill:


Okay, but not inspiring. I considered hanging my collection of mirrors and empty antique frames in the space. But before I got around to it, I pulled this gigantic chalkboard out of the garage and contemplated selling it on craigslist since I wasn't sure i could make it work . You all weighed in, and unanimously voted it a keeper. Jenny even offered examples.

*
So I gathered up images from all over the webz, and decided it definitely needed to be black. This led to an afternoon with chalkboard paint, which, I might add, is so black and thick and disaster-waiting-to-happen that it made me nervous just opening the can. But I soldiered on.


Then Rachel and/or Jennifer commented that it would look good hanging above an old school bench. I don't have an old school bench, but I DO have an old church pew, which has lived in the entry of the our past two homes. This is what I did yesterday:

*

Doesn't it look great? I LOVE it! It's really perfect for the space, and I'm so happy to finally have a place for this gem.

But wait, there's more!  I wanted a replacement for my old coffee table.  After spending my entire childhood with it, and then 15 years or so as an adult, I was just ready for a change.



Inspired by Jenny's AMAZING craigslist finds, I started trolling my local list.  That's where I found this:

*
I know what you're thinking: it doesn't look that different, you said you didn't want wood, blahblahblah. I know. I did say that. But it really is different. It's WAY bigger, it's a different style, it's a different wood. Blahblahblah. I love it. But if Jenny happens to find something better? I'll sell this one the same way I found it:  on craigslist

Speaking of which, I sold these 6 chairs and these 30 solar lights on craigslist today. Listed them Saturday night, they're gone today, and I'm $105 richer. Nice.



They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.
 ~Confucius


*Sorry these snaps suck, I was in a hurry and my camera died before i could take better ones.



http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

boops said...

awesome! and congrats! the chalk board looks great and i agree that the table is different (actually i was looking for something just like that a few years ago) hey some extra change in the pocket is good too!

Slices of Beauty... said...

Very well done, loving the blackboard!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin