August 1, 2009

A Nice Cuppa

I used to be addicted to coffee. Really, brutally, dangerously addicted. Couldn't start my day without it, couldn't get through the afternoon with out it, needed another cup as soon as I got home from work, then one after dinner...and the final cup of the day: the bedtime cup, consumed in bed just before rolling over and going to sleep. Missing any of my doses meant brain-splitting headaches and nasty mood swings. (Yes, loved ones, I am blaming it on coffee!)

Those days are gone, thanks (probably mostly) to age - I'm now one of those people who "can't sleep if I drink coffee after 5 0'clock." *sigh*

When my relationship with coffee began to wane, I filled the void with tea. Tea and I had always been friends, but now we're more than that: We're in a serious relationship. Now it's tea that accompanies me out the door and on my morning commute, tea that gives me a lift when the mid-afternoon grumblies hit, tea that settles in for an evening of reading or trashy tv, and tea in bed with me just before I drift off to sleep.

One of the best things about coffee or tea - or anything, really - is the stuff that goes along with it, all the equipment and accessories. I don't have to drink coffee 5 times a day to love coffee mugs, and coffee presses, and vintage percolators, and stovetop espresso pots. I still have - and love - all that stuff. I still love, covet, peruse, and purchase coffee/tea cups and mugs in quantities all out of proportion to the amount of tea I can drink or the number of guests I will ever serve at one time. Seriously - I could easily serve 30 or more from the collection I have now - but that doesn't stop me from looking!

Here are some I've seen recently:

Basic white, always my favorite - from Stash Tea:


Brew-in-cup, from Pearl River:




Stackable fun , from Nora Does:



For grown-up kids, from Mod Cloth:



"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." ~C.S. Lewis

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin