September 9, 2011

'til you yourself are a sail


Last month I mentioned that I'd been feeling drawn to the sea, and wondered what I was really trying to say to myself with that feeling. Yesterday, all at once, I figured it out.

When I lost my job, I abruptly found myself in cast out into completely unfamiliar territory, not knowing where I was going, or what lay ahead. I couldn't stay, so I just had to go. If I was going to save myself, I had to take that leap of faith, and leave the shore.

I spent a good deal of time out on open waters. Uncharted waters. There was no going back, and the far shore was nowhere in sight. No wonder the idea of the sea felt so familiar to me: I've spent an entire season and then some trying to find the other shore.

I'm almost there. I wonder how long it will take me to get my land legs back?

And then today I received this in the mail:


The secret of seeing is to sail on solar wind. 
Hone and spread your spirit, 'til you yourself are a sail, 
whetted, translucent, 
broadside to the merest puff.
 - Annie Dillard






http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin