June 20, 2010

dream in peace


Sunday afternoon. Here on Moss Hill it's much too hot to be outdoors, but indoors it's another world entirely.

Calm and peaceful, the dreamy, languid atmosphere is perfect for drinking tea and flipping idly through a stack of magazines, napping on the couch with the dogs,  or watching an old black and white movie on cable. As soon as I hit the publish button on this post, though, there are several hours of work to be done, things I need to finish before the workweek starts tomorrow. 

Recently I heard on NPR a woman speaking about the importance of observing the Sabbath. Her research focused on the historical religious perspective, but her message centered on the spiritually healing qualities of rest, and the need for real rest in today's particularly rest-less world.

"For one day a week, you let the world be as it is," she says.
 "And you be in it, and try not to dominate it."

Although I couldn't be less religious, I am drawn to the idea of planned rest, of setting aside a day each week to "let the world be." It would take some advance preparation to make such a day possible, but I imagine the results would be worth it. Maybe I'll try it in this coming week...


What about you? Do you have a day each week reserved for rest, renewal, physical and spiritual edification? If not, do you think you would try it, at least once?

Oh - and about these photos below? Very restful, don't you think? 



If I were asked to name the chief benefit of the house, I should say: 
the house shelters day-dreaming, the house protects the dreamer, 
the house allows one to dream in peace.  ~ Gaston Bachelard


http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

boops said...

i love that first room. i can definitely see myself kicking back there!

re: day of rest for me is more a day of leisure. i didn't have one for the longest time, but started recently putting one day aside (on the weekend) to either rest or do something that for me is rejuvenating. these days it is spending time outdoors with the pup, but previously it was snapping pics or watching movies or just reading. the other day on the weekend is for chores/errands...the necessary blah stuff. i don't have the energy anymore to try to get things done after work. i feel happier having that one "me" day.

MFAMB said...

very restful. i love that quote too. "try not to dominate it" there is resonance there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin