September 27, 2009

you get monkeys


According to Wikipedia, "A false economy refers to an action which saves money at the beginning but which, over a longer period of time, results in more money being wasted than being saved." That pretty well sums up our current situation.

In order to save money, we have hired a less-than-competent handyman. In my defense, I didn't know he was incompetent when I hired him. But I did know he was cheap, and I should have known this would be one of those times where you get what you pay for. Now we're going to have to purchase more materials, and pay someone else to re-do the work that The Unhandyman has spent the last week botching. Besides the extra cost of materials and labor, the time he's wasted counts as a huge expense, and can't be reclaimed. Ah, well - lessons learned, I suppose.

It's not that I don't appreciate a good "make-do makeover" - I'm all for taking something ugly or useless or otherwise unacceptable and making it better with a lick of paint or a staple gun. I just should have known better than to apply that to our home repairs; some things are worth the extra money. Check out these amazing before and afters, all from design*sponge...it's DIY done right:







all photos: designsponge.com


"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys." ~James Goldsmith



http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin